A Special Invitation from
Claire Kiedrowski, CP
As MAPPS Secretary and member of the Board of Directors, and Maine resident, I would like to personally invite you to the MAPPS Summer Conference, which is to be held July 22nd through 26th at the Samoset Resort in Rockport, Maine. As a small business owner, I have individually and on behalf of my firm benefited from my active participation in MAPPS, including my regular attendance at MAPPS conferences. I want to personally encourage you to attend the 2013 Summer Conference in Maine.
I am fielding quite a few inquiries from interested MAPPS members about what Maine has to offer BEFORE and AFTER the conference.
Please read my suggestions below, and if you would like additional information, contact me as I’d be glad to assist in any way that I can.
Things to do before and after the conference
Go to www.visitmaine.com and www.mainetourism.com for ideas on suggestions on what to do and see and where to eat. The Samoset Resort is located in "Midcoast Maine” and a few ideas include:
- Portland Old Port. The Old Port has great shops, pubs, and museums and is adjacent to a working waterfront. Check out DiMillo’s Floating Restaurant for a very nice meal. Portland is located 2 hours south of Rockport.
- Freeport Outlet and home to LL Bean. Freeport is quite unique as it is a ‘shopping extravaganza experience’ with outlet stores and restaurants all surrounding the flagship store of LL Bean (did you know that LL Bean is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?). The best part about Freeport, though, is that the integrity of the Colonial town is kept intact, so even though you are in a shopper’s paradise, the ambience of the town still comes through. Nearby to Freeport is DeLorme, with a huge globe and map store, all conveniently located just off the interstate. Freeport is 1.5 hours south of Rockport.
- Mid-coast area: Camden, Lincolnville, Rockport and Rockland. The Samoset Resort is located in Rockport and Rockland is literally 5 minutes away. Beautiful Camden is just 10 minutes up the road. These communities have so much to see and do and will be very convenient to the conference. Nearby Camden State Park has miles of trails ranging from easy to moderate.
- Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor is the perfect combination of eating, sightseeing, and exploring Acadia National Park. Check out the Carriage Roads! Bar Harbor is 2-2.5 hours from Rockport.
- Bangor. Highlights of Bangor include the Discovery Museum for children, which even the kid in me enjoys. If you need to combine work with pleasure, KAPPA Mapping, Inc. is conveniently located in downtown Bangor and the University of Maine is just 10 minutes north. Bangor is 1.5 hours north of Rockport.
- Baxter State Park . This northern State Park was a gift to the people of Maine from a Former Maine Governor, Percival Baxter, who donated the land to the State with the condition that it be kept forever wild. Baxter State Park is a good 4 hours north of Rockport.